Tuesday 12 February 2013

Doctor Who in 3D

I suppose it was inevitable. Everything's going 3D these days. It was only a matter of time before Doctor Who did so as well. According to the BBC, the show will be going 3D as part of the "blockbuster celebrations" to mark the 50th anniversary. Actually, this isn't Doctor Who's first stab at 3D. That would be the charity special "Dimensions in Time" in the 90's (if you haven't seen it, don't bother; you're better off; trust me). Then, a couple years ago, there was a 3D trailer for Series 5. However, this will the be the first time the programme itself has gone 3D.

Honestly, I'm not really excited about this. I can't watch more than a few minutes of 3D without getting a headache caused by eye-strain. It's a technology that I feel needs a lot of refinement before it will truly be ready for the widespread use it's already getting. As such, I kind of wish the money being spent on 3D was going to another aspect of the show instead, such as a longer anniversary special (90 minutes instead of 60 minutes) or something similar. In any event, even though the show will be available in 3D, I think I'll continue watching in glorious 2D.

No comments:

Post a Comment